Harry Potter and The Cursed Child - Fangirl Moment Alert
So I have just finished reading the all too famous J.K. Rowling's latest piece on the Harry Potter series - Harry Potter and The Cursed Child and I am buzzing with energy and filled with a tornado of emotions right now.
Before I begin, I'll just brief on the storyline. Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, the 8th instalment of the Harry Potter series tells of Albus Severus Potter, the second child of Harry Potter and his adventures with best friend Scorpius Malfoy as they try to turn back time to help Cedric Diggory escape death in the Triwizard Tournament twenty five years ago.
Well, basically that's the gist of the story. For those who have not read the story, please be warned that there will be spoilers in the content below.
This book is not a story written in descriptive, but a script for the play that is showing at the Palace Theatre in London (sobs). Definitely something different and possibly disappointing because well, we all would expect (and want) a full length story, right?
First thought when I finished reading the script: This would be a good "novel" for Malaysia's lacking-borderline-failing English literature syllabus. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this book is lacking in any way (rather, it was something else...). In fact, it was a fantastic read, as expected from the one and only J.K. Rowling but let me list my reasons why...
HP and The Cursed Child should be included in the English Literature syllabus for secondary education:
1. The book is written in the form of a script = less words = can finish within a short time = Malaysia Boleh. That's why all the previous 7 books didn't make it. Too lengthy indeed.
2. It contains very strong moral values. I think this would be the number 1 reason why this book could very well be implemented into the syllabus, because there must always be moral values. All things good, right? If there's anything negative then, semua tak boleh, semua tak halal, semua haram.
3. Everyone would actually read this. Because it's Harry Potter. If you don't know what a Harry Potter is, I will call the police and have them arrest you. It's a crime not to know!
4. No more lame stories like "Step by Wicked Step" (syllabus in my time) and QWERTUIOP, The Fruit Cake, Gulp and Gasp, bla bla bla...so yay!
5. Repeat no. 1 to 4.
Well, from hereon, I really must warn you to stop because SPOILER ALERT. It's my time to gush about the book.
1. SNAPE REAPPEARED. Like !@#$% *hyperventilates* *starts jumping around like madmen* *squeals* *shrieks* *inhales* *exhales* Okay, I'm calm. For now. I teared when he appeared. I can't help it, him being my favourite character. He never fails to make me cry. It moved me when he was still conspiring with Ron and Hermione (aka Dumbledore Army) even after Harry died. Why?
Harry's death = reason to help = 0 = because well, Lily's son is dead = Snape = Free man
But no! He was still on Team Dumbledore and they were fighting bravely, albeit in small numbers and probably would have made little to no difference. Now the question again is, why?
Because he still loves Lily.
He couldn't save Harry for Lily, so he wanted to give his allegiance to the cause she believed in (quoted from the book). I swear to God, Snape always gives me the AWWWWW SNIFF SNIFF moments. Snape loved so quietly but somehow that seemed like the most powerful one of all. It serves to remind us that loving someone does not have to be loud and boisterous (*cough* social media couples *cough*), but it is in the act of simplicity, honesty, plain faithfulness and some good ol' trust.
Also, I was so delighted that Snape at least got to know that Harry named one of his sons after him. He didn't die in vain after all. He had to know that he was at least remembered as a great, brave and honourable man before he died, and he did! Like can it get any more heart wrenching than this!? Stop melting my heart, J.K. Rowling!
2. The Climax. Okay, Delphi wanted to change history from the very beginning, so they went back to the very first moment it all happened: Voldy Moldy cursed a part of himself into Harry Potter at Jame and Lily's house. HP and the gang thought that she would kill the baby HP to prevent the curse from happening. No more words of 'The Chosen One', or 'The Boy Who Lived', Voldy Moldy would live and rule the world once again with power and darkness.
So they waited for Delphi to appear.
But then a thought occurred. Why were they waiting? Why wait for that moment for her to kill the baby? What if that wasn't her intention from the very beginning? How was she going to stop the curse from happening? Forgive me for being one to always ponder on other possibilities the stories might turn out, but I definitely did not expect the other possible way to change history altogether.
Delphi was going to stop Voldy Moldy from going there.
Like...WHOA. Maybe I'm a stupid one. But it was like a moment of epiphany, I thought, "oh my god, yes that could actually happen as well. Just stop Voldy Moldy from going there altogether. Problem solved. Tata." All this while, I thought that the only way to change history was to stop Voldy Moldy at the house, or kill the baby after that. Clearly Delphi was smarter than I am.
J.K. Rowling, you never cease to surprise me! Very clever indeed. Also a very smart move to reveal that at the very last minute, and suddenly everything happened almost too quickly I didn't have time to take a moment to breathe. Exaggeration, but close enough.
3. Dry Humor. Always. J.K. Rowling's dry humor. Witty and dry. Just the way I like it.
4. What a loving father Draco Malfoy really is. Now that is a surprise eh? He was actually a softie all along. Not to mention the fact that he was always envious of Harry's friendship with Ron and Hermione. All Draco really wanted was to be happy, not power, not acknowledgement, just...happiness. He loved his wife with all he's got, and his child Scorpius Malfoy and would do anything to make them happy.
When Harry stopped Albus and Scorpius from being friends, Draco confronted Harry for his actions because it made Scorpius upset. Like AWWW he's such a doting father! He tried to be a loving father, although he didn't know how to, but he always tried his best. I was like AWWWWW Draco's a sweet loving man after all.
5. Friendship between Potter and Malfoy's sons? Now that's a huge mix up, and a very very interesting one. Also very interesting how Scorpius was actually a huge geek (aka BRAINIAC!) and for once, I think Potter's son was not the centre of attention because Scorpius stole the spotlight from him. He was a Slytherin, he was being looked down upon for being Voldy Moldy's son, always being shunned by everyone, but he was still a kind, sweet, down-to-earth, rational, geeky boy and was perfectly contented with having one friend, at all. Not what you'd expect from a Malfoy, right? He actually reminds me a little of Hermione Granger. Hm. Funny.
6. Scorpius's crush on Rose Granger-Weasley. Aww. Like how cute is that? Malfoy's son is being intertwined with the famous trio and who knows if they'll end up together? I actually thought Albus and Rose might end up together, what with them being Potter and Granger-Weasley's children, but nope! Such a refreshing change (possibly because I like Scorpius wayyyy better than I do Albus).
7. For once, the name Potter is branded next to Loser. We are not new to the names Malfoy and Loser being put next to each other, but a Potter? Now that's out of the ordinary. But yes, Albus Potter was a loser in Hogwarts, from the very beginning of his first year at school up till the fourth year, and he never quite liked his school. It is quite a refreshing idea to know that a Potter is not always a hero.
8. Ron and Hermione's everlasting romance. They are, indeed the sweetest couple ever. Through thick and thin, they were prepared to die for each other, with each other. And if that isn't the sweetest thing ever, then I don't know what is.
9. MAJOR SPOILER for everyone but the idea that Delphi was, in fact, the daughter of Lord Voldemort and Bellatrix Lestrange was a complete mind blowing, call-911-emergency-someone-just-fainted-here situation. Wait, stop me for a second here before I puke my guts out (and possibly yours), but imagine the idea of Voldy Moldy and Bellatrix having...sex? Like that's an even more dire situation than the Kardashians' armed robbery ordeal in Paris! So, Voldy Moldy had manly animalistic instincts...too? I mean, sure, he's still a man deep down inside but I didn't think anyone, and I mean anyone saw him that way...clearly I was wrong. Again. Okay, brb, gotta go puke.
All in all, not as satisfying as I thought it'd be, but good enough! It almost seemed like a very cute teenage read set in the world of wizardry. J.K. Rowling gave us a bittersweet trip down memory lane, some touches of present day family problems, to current real-life teenage issues and some serious life-learned lessons that we all could take a moment to remind ourselves once in a while.
Rate: 8/10
Favourite lines from the book:
"I think you have to make a choice - at a certain point - of the man you want to be. And I tell you that at that time you need a parent or a friend. And if you've learnt to hate your parent by then and you have no friends...then you're all alone." - Draco Malfoy
"Well, at least I'm not married to him." - Severus Snape
"Sometimes costs are made to be borne." - Severus Snape
"One person. All it takes is one person. I couldn't save Harry for Lily. So now I give my allegiance to the cause she believed in. And it's possible- that along the way I started believing in it myself. - Severus Snape.
"Thank Dumbledore for that." - this is said by everyone instead of "Thank God for that." Dumbledore has ascended to God level y'all!!
Also, an extra. Not exactly my favourite, but definitely worth mentioning:
"Harry, there is never a perfect answer in this messy, emotional world. Perfection is beyond the reach of humankind, beyond the reach of magic. In every shining moment of happiness is that drop of poison: the knowledge that pain will come again. Be honest to those you love, show your pain. To suffer is as human as to breathe." - Albus Dumbledore.
Alrighty, I am done gushing about this book...for the day.
And I shall be off.
Toodles!
Before I begin, I'll just brief on the storyline. Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, the 8th instalment of the Harry Potter series tells of Albus Severus Potter, the second child of Harry Potter and his adventures with best friend Scorpius Malfoy as they try to turn back time to help Cedric Diggory escape death in the Triwizard Tournament twenty five years ago.
Well, basically that's the gist of the story. For those who have not read the story, please be warned that there will be spoilers in the content below.
This book is not a story written in descriptive, but a script for the play that is showing at the Palace Theatre in London (sobs). Definitely something different and possibly disappointing because well, we all would expect (and want) a full length story, right?
First thought when I finished reading the script: This would be a good "novel" for Malaysia's lacking-borderline-failing English literature syllabus. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this book is lacking in any way (rather, it was something else...). In fact, it was a fantastic read, as expected from the one and only J.K. Rowling but let me list my reasons why...
HP and The Cursed Child should be included in the English Literature syllabus for secondary education:
1. The book is written in the form of a script = less words = can finish within a short time = Malaysia Boleh. That's why all the previous 7 books didn't make it. Too lengthy indeed.
2. It contains very strong moral values. I think this would be the number 1 reason why this book could very well be implemented into the syllabus, because there must always be moral values. All things good, right? If there's anything negative then, semua tak boleh, semua tak halal, semua haram.
3. Everyone would actually read this. Because it's Harry Potter. If you don't know what a Harry Potter is, I will call the police and have them arrest you. It's a crime not to know!
4. No more lame stories like "Step by Wicked Step" (syllabus in my time) and QWERTUIOP, The Fruit Cake, Gulp and Gasp, bla bla bla...so yay!
5. Repeat no. 1 to 4.
Well, from hereon, I really must warn you to stop because SPOILER ALERT. It's my time to gush about the book.
1. SNAPE REAPPEARED. Like !@#$% *hyperventilates* *starts jumping around like madmen* *squeals* *shrieks* *inhales* *exhales* Okay, I'm calm. For now. I teared when he appeared. I can't help it, him being my favourite character. He never fails to make me cry. It moved me when he was still conspiring with Ron and Hermione (aka Dumbledore Army) even after Harry died. Why?
Harry's death = reason to help = 0 = because well, Lily's son is dead = Snape = Free man
But no! He was still on Team Dumbledore and they were fighting bravely, albeit in small numbers and probably would have made little to no difference. Now the question again is, why?
Because he still loves Lily.
He couldn't save Harry for Lily, so he wanted to give his allegiance to the cause she believed in (quoted from the book). I swear to God, Snape always gives me the AWWWWW SNIFF SNIFF moments. Snape loved so quietly but somehow that seemed like the most powerful one of all. It serves to remind us that loving someone does not have to be loud and boisterous (*cough* social media couples *cough*), but it is in the act of simplicity, honesty, plain faithfulness and some good ol' trust.
Also, I was so delighted that Snape at least got to know that Harry named one of his sons after him. He didn't die in vain after all. He had to know that he was at least remembered as a great, brave and honourable man before he died, and he did! Like can it get any more heart wrenching than this!? Stop melting my heart, J.K. Rowling!
2. The Climax. Okay, Delphi wanted to change history from the very beginning, so they went back to the very first moment it all happened: Voldy Moldy cursed a part of himself into Harry Potter at Jame and Lily's house. HP and the gang thought that she would kill the baby HP to prevent the curse from happening. No more words of 'The Chosen One', or 'The Boy Who Lived', Voldy Moldy would live and rule the world once again with power and darkness.
So they waited for Delphi to appear.
But then a thought occurred. Why were they waiting? Why wait for that moment for her to kill the baby? What if that wasn't her intention from the very beginning? How was she going to stop the curse from happening? Forgive me for being one to always ponder on other possibilities the stories might turn out, but I definitely did not expect the other possible way to change history altogether.
Delphi was going to stop Voldy Moldy from going there.
Like...WHOA. Maybe I'm a stupid one. But it was like a moment of epiphany, I thought, "oh my god, yes that could actually happen as well. Just stop Voldy Moldy from going there altogether. Problem solved. Tata." All this while, I thought that the only way to change history was to stop Voldy Moldy at the house, or kill the baby after that. Clearly Delphi was smarter than I am.
J.K. Rowling, you never cease to surprise me! Very clever indeed. Also a very smart move to reveal that at the very last minute, and suddenly everything happened almost too quickly I didn't have time to take a moment to breathe. Exaggeration, but close enough.
3. Dry Humor. Always. J.K. Rowling's dry humor. Witty and dry. Just the way I like it.
4. What a loving father Draco Malfoy really is. Now that is a surprise eh? He was actually a softie all along. Not to mention the fact that he was always envious of Harry's friendship with Ron and Hermione. All Draco really wanted was to be happy, not power, not acknowledgement, just...happiness. He loved his wife with all he's got, and his child Scorpius Malfoy and would do anything to make them happy.
When Harry stopped Albus and Scorpius from being friends, Draco confronted Harry for his actions because it made Scorpius upset. Like AWWW he's such a doting father! He tried to be a loving father, although he didn't know how to, but he always tried his best. I was like AWWWWW Draco's a sweet loving man after all.
5. Friendship between Potter and Malfoy's sons? Now that's a huge mix up, and a very very interesting one. Also very interesting how Scorpius was actually a huge geek (aka BRAINIAC!) and for once, I think Potter's son was not the centre of attention because Scorpius stole the spotlight from him. He was a Slytherin, he was being looked down upon for being Voldy Moldy's son, always being shunned by everyone, but he was still a kind, sweet, down-to-earth, rational, geeky boy and was perfectly contented with having one friend, at all. Not what you'd expect from a Malfoy, right? He actually reminds me a little of Hermione Granger. Hm. Funny.
6. Scorpius's crush on Rose Granger-Weasley. Aww. Like how cute is that? Malfoy's son is being intertwined with the famous trio and who knows if they'll end up together? I actually thought Albus and Rose might end up together, what with them being Potter and Granger-Weasley's children, but nope! Such a refreshing change (possibly because I like Scorpius wayyyy better than I do Albus).
7. For once, the name Potter is branded next to Loser. We are not new to the names Malfoy and Loser being put next to each other, but a Potter? Now that's out of the ordinary. But yes, Albus Potter was a loser in Hogwarts, from the very beginning of his first year at school up till the fourth year, and he never quite liked his school. It is quite a refreshing idea to know that a Potter is not always a hero.
8. Ron and Hermione's everlasting romance. They are, indeed the sweetest couple ever. Through thick and thin, they were prepared to die for each other, with each other. And if that isn't the sweetest thing ever, then I don't know what is.
9. MAJOR SPOILER for everyone but the idea that Delphi was, in fact, the daughter of Lord Voldemort and Bellatrix Lestrange was a complete mind blowing, call-911-emergency-someone-just-fainted-here situation. Wait, stop me for a second here before I puke my guts out (and possibly yours), but imagine the idea of Voldy Moldy and Bellatrix having...sex? Like that's an even more dire situation than the Kardashians' armed robbery ordeal in Paris! So, Voldy Moldy had manly animalistic instincts...too? I mean, sure, he's still a man deep down inside but I didn't think anyone, and I mean anyone saw him that way...clearly I was wrong. Again. Okay, brb, gotta go puke.
All in all, not as satisfying as I thought it'd be, but good enough! It almost seemed like a very cute teenage read set in the world of wizardry. J.K. Rowling gave us a bittersweet trip down memory lane, some touches of present day family problems, to current real-life teenage issues and some serious life-learned lessons that we all could take a moment to remind ourselves once in a while.
Rate: 8/10
Favourite lines from the book:
"I think you have to make a choice - at a certain point - of the man you want to be. And I tell you that at that time you need a parent or a friend. And if you've learnt to hate your parent by then and you have no friends...then you're all alone." - Draco Malfoy
"Well, at least I'm not married to him." - Severus Snape
"Sometimes costs are made to be borne." - Severus Snape
"One person. All it takes is one person. I couldn't save Harry for Lily. So now I give my allegiance to the cause she believed in. And it's possible- that along the way I started believing in it myself. - Severus Snape.
"Thank Dumbledore for that." - this is said by everyone instead of "Thank God for that." Dumbledore has ascended to God level y'all!!
Also, an extra. Not exactly my favourite, but definitely worth mentioning:
"Harry, there is never a perfect answer in this messy, emotional world. Perfection is beyond the reach of humankind, beyond the reach of magic. In every shining moment of happiness is that drop of poison: the knowledge that pain will come again. Be honest to those you love, show your pain. To suffer is as human as to breathe." - Albus Dumbledore.
Alrighty, I am done gushing about this book...for the day.
And I shall be off.
Toodles!


0 comments